The site of Saint Bertrand-de-Comminges was previously the town of Lugdunum, capital of an advanced tribe that may trace its origins from the pre-historic settlements found near Saint Gaudens. Although influenced by the Romans, Lugdunum resisted Roman occupation until 115 BC when it was attached to the Provinca Romana. Pompey declared it a independent city-state in 72 BC and its population was increased by the settlement of veteran legionaires. The region this state covered was called Lyon Convenarum and may well have covered the valley of the Garonne on both sides of the Pyrénées.
In 17 BC Lyon Convenarum was attached to the Roman province of Novempopulanie by Augustus and by this time had two urban centres: Lugdunum (Saint Bertrand-de-Comminges) and Calagorris (Martres). Lugdunum was destroyed by Vandals in the 6th Century and rebuilt in 1110 by the Bishop Saint Bertrand, who rebaptised the town in his name.
The Counts of Comminges aligned themselves with Languedoc rather than with the king of France and did not join the French state until 1453, only to promptly leave it again under the whim of a dissident lord. The county passed through the hands of various noble families during the 15th and 16th centuries and in and out of favour with the French crown. Comminges was not truly annexed by France until 1540.
The town of Saint Gaudens replaced Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges as the main town in the area in the 17th century and in general the area was controlled from Auch (Gascony) and is now in the departement of Haute-Garonne, capital Toulouse.
Comminges rests in and around the valley of the Garonne, with spectacular mountain ranges to the South. Steeped in history and with spectacular views, Comminges' proximity to Tarbes, Lourdes and Toulouse make it an area that is relatively easy to reach.
© 123Voyage, 1997 - 2014
Site v 2.1